We are interested in children and their academic opportunities and success.
We will support organizations and projects for children ages 0 through 18, and their parents/caregivers, to ensure children are prepared for kindergarten, are engaged in school, thrive academically, and graduate on time with the necessary skills and opportunities for success. We think that investing in programs that enrich whole families and whole neighborhoods is a good idea.
Why is education important?
We think if educational needs are comprehensively addressed, impactful change could be seen in a single generation- for individuals and for the community at large – workforce preparedness, strengthened tax base, financial resiliency.
The following represent our guiding regional benchmarks:
- All children are ready for Kindergarten
- All children are reading on grade level by the end of 3rd grade
- All students have positive engagement and attendance
- All students are on grade level in literacy and math at the end of 8th grade
- All students graduate high school college-ready or with an industry credential
Why focus on 0 through 18?
We think a focus on the “education continuum” or pipeline, could lead to better outcomes and reduce some of the challenges vexing this region. Being prepared for school, succeeding in school, graduating from school, and moving on to secondary education, a stable career and financial independence ultimately address the other issues the community struggles with – poverty, unemployment, crime, affordable housing and food insecurity.